To celebrate fall, I decided to make a broccoli and cheddar soup, it warmed me up so well and it was perfect for dinner!
Now, I could go buy broccoli soup, but I am a vegetarian and a lot of commercial places use chicken broth as their base. I decided to come up with a recipe that is vegetarian friendly, but if you aren't vegetarian go ahead and substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth!
Eat with your favorite sandwich!
There are also plenty of leftovers, so this is good for a few days!
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 45 Min
- 3 TBS: Unsalted butter
- 1/4 C: Flour
- 1 C: Whole milk
- 1 C: Heavy Cream
- 4 C: Vegetable broth
- 1/4 TSP: Nutmeg
- 4: Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 C: Grated Carrots
- 4 C: Broccoli Florets
- 8 Ounces: Shredded Cheddar
- Get a large sauce bowl and melt butter into pot at medium heat
- Whisk Flour, Whole Milk, Cream (for about 10 minutes)
- Add in Vegetable Broth and keep whisking until smooth
- Add in Nutmet, Bay Leaves, and Salt and Pepper
- Allow to start to boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add in Carrots and Broccoli
- Increase heat to boil
- Decrease heat and allow to simmer for another 20 minutes
- Add in Cheese and melt, this takes about 5 minutes
Enjoy with salad or your favorite sandwich!